This post is also available in: German
Cologne has a lot to offer. We tell you the Fun Facts about the city.
- Cologne is one of the oldest cities in Germany and today the fourth largest city in the country.
- It took 632 years to build the Cologne Cathedral
- Kölsch is the local beer in Cologne. Compared to any other German beers, it tastes sweeter and more refreshing than any other German beer.
- Although Kölsch comes in small glasses – don’t be mistaken: it is as strong as any other beer in Germany.
- At Rheinpark, you may stumble upon a „Comforter-tree“ where kids can hang their old comforter and put it to rest.
- In Cologne, you will find Germany’s only Palm Tree Alley (at Flora).
- The famous pub snack „Halve Hahn“ has 450 Calories (a little more than a small portion of fries). Funny enough the name „halve Hahn“ is easily mistaken by other Germans as the word reminds of a „Halber Hahn“ – which means half of a chicken. In fact, a „Halve Hahn“ is just a bun with cheese.
- The famous perfume „Eau de Cologne“ was initially a medicine against the pox. The brand “4711” used to be the house number of its founding company Farina – at Glockengasse in Cologne.
- The famous sprayed banana – the metamorphic symbol for political and social events and for places that display great art is a project started in Cologne by artist Thomas Baumgärtel.