This post is also available in: German
Do you know all the fun facts about Vienna? We collect them for you!
- Vienna’s Central Cemetery (Zentralfriedhof) has over 2.5 million tombs (more than the city’s live population), including those of Beethoven, Brahms, Gluck, Schubert, Schoenberg and Strauss.
- The Sacher Torte was made by Franz Sacher, when the chef of the court of Prince Metternich fallen ill – just on when the prince ordered a new dessert. So it was up to a 16 years old trainee named Franz Sacher to create a new dish. And that day in 1832 the Sacher Torte was born.
- Tiergarten Schönbrunn in Vienna, founded in 1752, is said to be the oldest zoological garden in the world.
- Over 300 balls take place every year in Vienna. Most of these events usually happen in the first 3 months of the year, between January and March. In that time, you will see people in ball gowns on the street, grabbing a late night sausage snack and nobody cares.
- Vienna’s cuisines is a real brand. It is the only cuisine named after a city.
- Vienna is divided into 23 districts. The city center in Vienna is a World Heritage Site.
- 640 wine framers produce 2.5 million liters wine every year – in Vienna.