This post is also available in: German
Interesting and fun facts about Amsterdam
Amsterdam, the city of diamonds, has a lot to offer. We show you the fun facts about this city!
- Amsterdam is highly bike-friendly. There are 1.2 million bikes in this city with a local population of 800,000. The city has over 400 km of bike lanes and several storage facilities to keep your bike safely at a nominal charge. It’s plain and simple: Bikes have the right of way.
- A quarter of Amsterdam happens to be below sea level. 50 per cent of its land lies merely one meter above sea level. At its lowest point, the city is 6.7 meters below sea level.
- Amsterdam has a splendid boating culture. More than 2500 houseboats can be found lined up along Amsterdam’s various canals on any given day. People have set up their homes or shops, rental stays and even a museum in a houseboat.
- Although tobacco smoking was banned 2008 in Dutch cafes and restaurants, you are still allowed to smoke marihuana and hash in Dutch coffee shops – if only you don’t mix it with regular tobacco…
- While Amsterdam is the capital city of The Netherlands, the Dutch government and parliament are located in The Hague.
- Amsterdam has an alternative paying system. If you become a member, you can buy and sell bikes, furniture, hair cuts or translation services for “noppes” (Dutch slang for “nothing”) instead of euros. Interestingly, “erotic services” are banned.
- In Amsterdam, stray Cats live on a ship called „De Poenzenboot“, maintained by volunteers.
- Amsterdam is the gay and lesbian capital of Europe since it was the first capital city to allow gay marriage when the Netherlands adopted the law in 2001.
- If you die in Amsterdam with no next of kin and no-one to attend your funeral, the poet Frank Starikwill write a poem for you and recite it at your funeral.
You are just amazed by all the fun facts Amsterdam? Then you should definitely take a look on our homepage and see our central hotels in Amsterdam!