This post is also available in: German
Munich is the capital of Bavaria and definitely worth a visit – not only during the Oktoberfest. We show you some fun facts about this city!
- Munich is further north than any major US city (excluding Alaska).
- There are over 60 beer gardens in Munich.
- The local name for Munich is “Minga” although the proper German name is München.
- Also the test of the Bavarian Dialect might be hard to understand for many other Germans. For example, don’t try to buy „Brötchen“ (Buns) in Bavaria. They are known as „Semmeln“ here.
- At Munich’s Technische Universiät (Tech University) 4-stories high slides help the students to get to classes faster.
- The major streets of the old town of Munich were pedestrianized for the Olympics in 1972 and have stayed pedestrian only ever since.
- Most of the famous Oktoberfest is held in September. But the Oktoberfest ends the first weekend in October.
- An interesting fact for beer lovers everywhere is that there are six major breweries in Munich: Augustiner Bräu, Hofbräu, Löwenbräu, Hacker-Pschorr Bräu, Spaten-Franziskaner Bräu, and Paulaner Brauerei.
- Beer is considered as a food in Bavaria officially.
- The English Garden in central Munich has dual attractions for many visitors. There are beer tents for refreshment and a nudist area where local office workers sunbath during summer lunch breaks.